Modeling Healthy Strategies
Posted by Holly Hirst on March 10, 2022
“Peace is what every human being is craving for, and it can be brought about by
humanity in the child.” – Dr. Maria Montessori
This morning, seeing the snow-covered trees against the backdrop of the cloudless blue skies and sunlight, I could feel the lightness of the spring season ahead of us. However, the juxtaposition of our hopeful release from the pandemic with the struggles abroad and at home creates cognitive dissonance within ourselves and our children. How do we navigate these anxieties as adults, while modeling healthy strategies for our children too?
I recommend that we take cues from our Montessori classrooms:
Grace and courtesy:
- Ask for help
- Ask for a hug
- Agree to disagree
- Slow, methodical movement
- Take time to observe your surroundings
- Use all of your senses to observe the moment
- Create an inviting, peaceful environment for work and play
- Help others in need
- Accept help
- Be courteous in your conversations
- Listen for understanding and with empathy
- Learn about and understand your own cultural background
- Read and learn about cultures other than your own
- Self-reflect and question your own theories and opinions
Prospective parents often proclaim “I wish I had attended a Montessori school when I was younger!” It’s never too late to learn from Dr. Montessori’s time-tested, well-researched, scientific methodology. Let’s learn, grow, and model together!
Comments are closed.